Search This Blog

Sunday 8 December 2013

Memories of Rye Bread, Salami and St. Nicholas Day.


Perhaps no other time of year reminds me more of my upbringing than Christmas.   As a kid of German immigrants growing up in rural Ontario meant often feeling “different”.  My home town was pretty “white bread” and I was the kid with a rye bread and salami sandwich in my lunch box and a piece of cake that nobody had seen before… not to mention the impossible to pronounce names of said cakes.   My parents had the heavy foreign accents and had the odd hard to pronounce names. There was some taunting at times, some odd looks, but for the most part we were welcomed and accepted as neighbours.   I was also grateful for parents that also embraced “Canadian” ways of doing things and genuinely tried to allow me to be like my friends as much as possible…even if it meant a peanut butter sandwich on Wonder bread in my lunch…after protesting the rye bread.  Levis jeans, Kodiak boots, and Roots earth shoes were readily available in my closet.  But some things were non-negotiable.  My Dad wore Birkenstocks long before it was fashionable for men to wear sandals. We celebrated Christmas on the 24th, not the 25th, we didn’t have stockings by the fireplace, and we had homemade pizza at midnight, no Turkey dinners. And on December 6, St. Nicholas paid a visit to our house but NOT to any of my schoolmate’s homes.  

 But all that was many years ago, and Canada seems to be much more multi-cultural now than in the 1970’s with diversity a more accepted reality.  Now as a parent, married to someone who’s family has been here for many generations, it’s kind of up to me to carry forward some of the cultural traditions of my youth and my family’s history.  I have never lived as a hyphenated Canadian nor do I want my son to take on that identity, but I do want him to be proud of his roots and enjoy some of the traditions.  As my parents get older and with virtually no other living connections in the “old country” it’s now in my court to try to maintain some traditions and history.

Perhaps the other lesson for my son and I, is the reminder that it’s okay to be different, and bring something unique to the table.  The catalyst for this blog was the passing of St. Nicholas Day just a short while ago. Truth be known, I remembered it at the last possible moment and my 5 year old son was  a little baffled by my sudden suggestion that he polish his boots.  But he diligently obliged his dad, and we had a brief discussion of what St Nicholas day was all about.  The conversation was brief mainly because my memory of what it was about had faded…or maybe I never really knew? But today I renew a commitment to relearn about my roots, and share that richness with my son.

Much of the German heritage I grew up with has been fading as I get older.  We are a Canadian household. But I hang onto a few quirks of the immigrant experience, the feather pillows, down duvets, and regular trips to the “German Store” for some rich rye breads, coffee, smoked meats, marzipan and dark chocolate.  The young lad embraces some of it…he’s not keen on the rye bread…yet.  Maybe I’ll send him to school this week with a rye bread and salami sandwich….for old time sake!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment