Search This Blog

Friday 17 October 2014

Cutting the (TV) Cord.

About 6 weeks ago we decided to finally stare down Ma Bell and “cut the cord”.  I know we are not the first to go down this road and I’m grateful for some friends that have shared their experience.  From them we learned there was life after cable, though we were a little sceptical.  We didn’t come to the decision lightly, while we don’t watch a lot of TV in the summer, the winter evenings can be long, and the thought of not having a 100+ channels to surf was a little daunting.   

Suddenly,  I was having flashbacks to my childhood, growing up in Haliburton.  In those days cable was not available and satellite TV was not yet invented.  We had a black and white TV, and on the side of the house a 25 foot pipe held a massive antenna on top.  On a good day we got CBC, CTV and years  later Global.  Channel reception was contingent on weather and whether somebody could be coerced to go outside and turn the antenna while somebody else hollered out the window when the TV static and snow stopped and some semblance of a picture came through.   The programming fair of the time included The Beachcombers, The Tommy Hunter Show,  Hockey Night in Canada, Mr. Dress-up, The Friendly giant, and of course the Wayne and Shuster specials. Maybe that's why I was so thin in those days, with nothing to watch on TV, entertainment was found elsewhere.

Major milestones in my youth were the arrival of our first colour TV, a 20 inch “Zenith”, and the motorised rotor that turned the antenna with the turn of knob on a box beside the tv and an electric motor turning the aerial. This was high tech, circa 1975!
 My 6 year old was not interested in my nostalgia and was clearly horrified by the prospect of his TV “changing”. It was high drama when he thought he may not be able to watch Garfield and Scooby Doo before bed, and what about Wild Kratts after school? 

Needless to say Bell was not amused, and the "Loyalty department" worked very hard to change our minds. Never the less on Saturday morning a few weeks ago we awoke to a new era….no more cable TV and no more calls from the Duct cleaner Telemarketers on the land line, the cord was severed! 
Now 3 weeks into this new era we are doing okay.  During the weeks leading up to the end of our Bell services I did some research and chose an HD Antenna from a local computer shop.  This was not the monster antenna of my youth with the long aluminum arms, but instead it’s a plastic rectangular box with two plastic arms sticking straight out of each side.
When I arrived home with my $40 purchase my son and wife looked more than a little sceptical about my choice of satellite replacement.  I too was curious if this contraption would do anything or if I had just flushed $40 down the toilet.  But surely everything you read on the Internet is true…right?   I pulled it out of the box, attached a few feet of cable to it, set it on the living room window sill, attached it to the TV….and prayed that a picture would present itself.   And voila, after a channel scan, about 20 channels came through.  The biggest surprise is that we never knew how poor the satellite picture quality had been until we saw the High Definition that came from the free "over the air" signals.  Suddenly Peter Mansbridge looks much older, and the NFL games are spectacular. Now with this modest success I was emboldened to physically remove the dish off the roof and replaced it with our new best friend, the TV antenna.  Now with better aiming and 15 feet elevation,  the reception is even better and we now consistently get all the major US network channels from Buffalo and Rochester and the Canadian Networks, plus a few bonus channels I’ve never heard of before. Combine this with our $8 dollar a month Netflix service and I can honestly say my only regret is waiting so long to make this change.   I realize we are fortunate to live close to Lake Ontario with no high rise buildings near us to block signals, but I remain amazed how well this has worked out.  Now we just need to funnel all those $ savings into a vacation fund…Cuba here we come?

No comments:

Post a Comment